Orient Electric —E-comm Website Story

UX Research

Introduction:

My Role:

What did I learn?

  • Surveying, Interviewing, Data collection, synthesis & validation: User Persona creation, Journey Mapping, Competition analysis.
  • Collaborating & working with fellow Researchers, Business Stakeholders & UX Designers.

Timelines:

Research Statement and Goals:

Research Methodologies:

1. Surveys:

  • Purchase Dependencies: product-specific;
  • Market understanding: brand penetration, brand positioning, competitor evaluation;
  • Pain Points: product-specific + brand-specific;
  • Product expectations & needs+ Brand expectations & needs;
  • The first segment started off with very easy questions to get a basic profile of the respondent and then transitioned to find dependencies (if any) for making purchases.
  • The second segment focused on brand penetration, market-competitor evaluation.
  • The third segment explored precise product-related pain points, expectations & needs. Based on inputs from the Orient team, we limited the research to just the four most important product categories:
  • Fans
  • Lights
  • Grinders-geysers/heaters-irons
  • Switches

2. Interviews:

  1. User Interviews
  2. Business Team Interviews

After completion of the interviews of the day, I held a meeting to take gather data in an excel sheet. Mid-week, halfway through the interviewing sessions, we had an internal meet to review processes and discuss difficulties/challenges. At the end of all the interviews, we filtered all inputs to find the most important ones and made a report to segment consumers & build user personas.

  • Product/segment-specific unique, principal features
  • Product/segment-specific most looked for features by consumers
  • Product-specific misconceptions/mishaps/pain points
  • Additional features wrt product division that could give Orient products an edge

3. Observation:

Through this, we could find & validate various triggers: product and brand-related that ushered customers to make purchases (this is discussed later in the triggers section)

4. Desk Research:

sample screenshot of the product range
  1. Product Range: list of all available products and price ranges;
  2. General Company Info: size, employees, brand ambassadors;
  3. Current Online ecosystem: how do they sell their products: any B2B online tie-ups, independent website/app, how do they take service requests, how do they offer online customer support, etc;
  4. Social Media & Influence: How active are they, what do they use it for? how many followers? What all platforms?;
  5. Offline Ecosystem: Number of offline stores, service centers; B2B tie-ups;
  6. Other Information: Brand-specific discounts, average warranty offered across products, etc;

Synthesis & Outputs:

Hence, one final report enclosing: Consumer Segmentation, User Personas, Category Triggers & User Journey Mapping, the four most important learnings, was created.

Consumer Segmentation:

User Personas:

  • Finding accessibility issues: We found language barriers and technological barriers: a huge portion of the users was Hindi speaking, thus warranting a need for designing the website in Hindi and English, a crucial improvement as it was earlier available only in English
  • Setting information hierarchies
  • Brand positioning: setting UI guidelines for the website
three sample User Personas

Category Triggers:

Sample screenshot of category triggers of a particular product

Journey Mapping:

Sample Journey mapping of a Brand Agnostic consumer

Impact:

Next Steps:

Reflections:

Challenges:

  • For the synthesis documents, deduced from large amounts of data, I did not get clear reasoning behind “why a certain piece of data was chosen as an important factor affecting design”. Though I had raised questions during internal discussions and was given rationales, I am still uncertain about how to choose relevant fields to create a synthesis document, especially when there is a huge amount of data.
  • We should have taken mock interview sessions before actual ones, the first few weren’t up to the mark, leading to wasted time and resources.
  • Did not offer any incentive to people filling out surveys hence many surveys seemed very carelessly answered, leading to increased effort in finding more, better-suited people to respond-> need to make sure to offer incentives of some kind

What went well:

  • People actually used the research!
  • The methodology allowed us to reach all of our goals
  • The mindset of the organization shifted towards more user-centricity
  • Emerging market gaps were discovered & clear, actionable points learned from the research to improve user experience was being acted upon
  • A diverse set of teams found the research useful!

Closing Statement:

The E-commerce website is currently under development and will be launched soon!

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store